Partners and Services (click on links or scroll down for full details)
Our participating partners will choose the recipients of their services — valued at $250k — from among the 10 Rosenman Innovators. Criteria include technology, market potential, and how much a startup would benefit from a particular service.
- BioSurg: Support with animal protocol and animal facility time
- IO LifeScience: Design & engineering consultation, prototyping
- NextFlex: Prototyping & pilot manufacturing, flexible electronics
- Propel(x): Exposure to early-stage investors
- ProtoQuick: design consultation, CNC, injection molding
- Whipsaw: Design & engineering consultation
Two awards available. Visit the BioSurg website
Scope for one award
- The BioSurg Research Team will work with the Investigator to develop the IACUC protocol and any study-specific forms
- The BioSurg team will assist in the following: IACUC review process; literature search; animal model selection; study design and scope; executing the experiment; provide animal records / study data
- Through this process there will be a focus on educating the Investigator about preclinical requirements and designing an efficient experiment to maximize the feasibility data collected on the prototype in the proposed clinical procedure. In the event that IACUC approval cannot be obtained, BioSurg may consult on an in-vitro study
- Two-1/2 day (4 hours) in the Cath Lab or OR (or one full day) for a surgical or interventional non-GLP acute procedure per Awardee to evaluate the functional performance or tolerability of the proposed medical device, drug, or combination product. This study will take place at the BioSurg-facility in Winters, CA
- Up to 2 total animals will be provided for the experiment
- Experiment may be conducted in any of the species/breeds that BioSurg works with: domesticswine, sheep, goat, rabbit, and calf
- Standard clinical pathology such as CBC and serum chemistry can be performed
- BioSurg’s trained staff will manage the prep, anesthesia, and euthanasia of the animals during the entire procedure
- Surgical or Interventional assistance can be provided by BioSurg staff during the procedure
- A member of the BioSurg Research Team will be available during the time in the Cath Lab or OR to help the Investigator run the experiment and be sure data is collected on the case report forms
- Necropsy evaluation and tissue harvesting as needed
- If deemed necessary by the site, up to $750.00 of special order supplies is included to be used in the preclinical experiment at BioSurg (unused product will be the property of BioSurg)
- Consulting Physician fees
- Travel costs
- Prototype manufacturing or shipping costs
- Pathologist time
- Analytical testing
- PK sampling other than during the experiment
- Advanced statistical analysis
Data generated during the BioSurg Award program will be owned by either the company or entity that has developed or licensed the technology.
BioSurg and the owner of each technology receiving a BioSurg Award shall enter into a confidentiality agreement.
BioSurg, Inc. was founded to provide medical device and drug companies a combination of knowledge, surgical and medical skills and physical facilities for nonclinical investigative studies. Our facility was designed and built for nonclinical feasibility and Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) studies in a variety of animal models. For more than 25 years we have provided high quality, nonclinical acute and chronic laboratory study services, with rapid turn around times. Our capabilities are applicable to a wide variety of test article devices for all body systems and a variety of test system species. Our scientific staff presently consists of five veterinarians, one physician, and numerous technical and animal husbandry support staff. In addition contracted certified medical and boarded veterinary specialists provide their expertise as contributing scientists.
IO LifeScience Services
One award available. Visit the IO LifeScience website
IO LifeScience will support the winning team with 100 hours of design and engineering consultation to take their innovative ideas one step closer to fruition, which may include a prototype (CAD, video, animation, user experience, etc.) and engineering support (design & development, human factors engineering, verification, validation, transfer to manufacturing etc.). IO LifeScience will work with the team over the next year as they develop their medical technologies.
ABOUT IO LifeScience
A spin off from LUNAR Design, an award winning user centered design firm.
IO LifeScience is a one-stop-shop: design, development, regulatory experienced in medical devices, has over 20 years of experience in User Centered Design and Development, alliance with LUNAR-Europe, Kompas Strategy and eInfochips, three User Centered research organizations with specialties in healthcare.
IO LifeScience (IOLS) has deep experience in taking design all the way to launch within a compliance environment. IOLS creates comprehensive healthcare solutions in established and emerging markets for clients as a full service Life Sciences provider. IOLS offer seamless integration from early stage opportunity assessment to product development and design transfer using IOLS’s strategy, design and engineering services.
IO LifeScience Pursuits:
- Use ‘compliance-enabled innovation’ to provide high value development in an ISO and FDA compliant process.
- Execute a seamless development process from early stage opportunity assessment to product development and design transfer under QSR based Design Control process.
- Apply a ‘user-centered approach’ focused on stakeholder needs.
- Develop, store and maintain the device history files to speed updates and changes and control access.
Two awards available. Visit the NextFlex website
NextFlex, a manufacturing institute in San Jose focusing on flexible hybrid electronics, will provide prototyping and pilot manufacturing services to one or two startups that have developed prototype medical devices that utilize rigid electronics (packaged components on circuit boards). NextFlex will work with the organization(s) to produce a flexible prototype of the medical device, by using its capabilities in printing and device integration onto flexible substrates. NextFlex will also help the organization to understand the requirements for moving into low-volume production. Finally, if funding is available to cover costs, will produce a limited run of devices for the organization.
NextFlex, America’s Flexible Hybrid Electronics Manufacturing Institute, is a leading force in the Manufacturing USA network of Institutes. Formed through a cooperative agreement between the US Department of Defense (DoD) and FlexTech Alliance, NextFlex is a consortium of companies, academic institutions, non-profits and state, local and federal governments with a shared goal of advancing U.S. manufacturing of FHE. Since its formation in 2015, NextFlex’s elite team of thought leaders, educators, problem solvers, and manufacturers have come together to collectively facilitate innovation, narrow the manufacturing workforce gap, and promote sustainable manufacturing ecosystems.
Ten awards available. Visit the Propel(x) website
Propel(x) is an investment marketplace where investors fund science and technology startups. Rosenman Award winners will be specially showcased on the Propel(x) platform, waiving the requirement for companies to have a lead investor. For the Rosenman Award winners that are seeking financing, Propel(x) will conduct special marketing campaigns with the goal of securing investments.
Founded by the creators of the MIT Alumni Angel Investors Group, Propel(x) is an investment marketplace where angel investors fund science and technology startups. Startups showcased on Propel(x) are usually early stage, typically raising their Seed or Series A rounds. Our network of investors has so far financed 41 deals, channeling over $7 M into these companies. Almost 60% of this capital has gone towards medical technologies and therapeutics.
Propel(x) will create a special page co-branded with the Rosenman Institute to showcase the Rosenman Award winners. Winners may not necessarily be in the midst of fund-raising rounds. Propel(x) will work with companies ahead of time to get their materials live on this page, to be unveiled at the Rosenman Awards.
For companies that are fund-raising, we will waive the requirement for companies to have a lead investor in place and, where appropriate, we will make introductions to potential lead investors. For companies that already have a lead investor in place and are looking to complete their rounds, Propel(x) will run special marketing campaigns with the goal of securing investments.
One award available. Visit the ProtoQuick website
ProtoQuick Inc. is pleased to provide 100 hours of shop time to support the winning team in their design, prototyping, and production phases. Our experience and discretion with medical parts and products makes us uniquely suited to help bring the team’s idea to reality.
The hours can be attributed toward any of our services including:
- Engineering Consultation on design and manufacturing best practices
- CNC and manual machining work
- Conventional and wire EDM Solutions and
- Injection molding services
ProtoQuick will collaborate with the team over the next 12 months (or up to 100 hours, whichever comes first) to consult with the ideas of the group and to provide services contributing to the progress of a completed product. Hours will be distributed at our owners’ discretion.
We are a full-service prototyping environment, equipped to move rapidly through design, prototype, and production lifecycles.
With over 20 years of experience, we have combined strengths in engineering design consulting, CNC and manual machining, conventional and wire EDM solutions, and injection molding. We specialize not only in designing and fabricating highly precise parts, but also developing processes to produce them economically. Our wide material expertise in aluminum, brass and copper, steel and stainless steel, and plastics cover the most common requests, and our shop boasts 10+ machines to meet the careful balance of quality and quantity in production.
We are proudly certified under the ISO 9001:2015, and have a long history of contributing to many innovative and transformational products and parts.
ProtoQuick’s Quality Policy
From Prototype to Production Engineering and Process Development we are dedicated to providing our customers with the best quality, value, and service by committing to continuous improvement of our team of the finest people, systems and equipment.
One award available. Visit the Whipsaw website
Whipsaw will provide the selected team with 100 hours of product design and engineering consultation to help realize, humanize, and productize their breakthrough medical ideas and technologies. Whipsaw’s expertise will be custom-tailored to the team’s needs, and may include qualitative research, user experience design, user interface design, industrial design, ergonomics development, mechanical engineering, product architecture development, materials & manufacturing processes development, and Design for Manufacturing services. Whipsaw will work as a close partner and advisor with the winning team, providing personal consultation and face to face collaboration.
Whipsaw is an Industrial Design and Engineering consulting firm located in the heart of Silicon Valley California, founded in 1999. Whipsaw specializes in developing products for the consumer electronics, consumer health & wellness, enterprise electronics, consumer appliances, robotics, automotive & mobility, wearables, medical, smart home and IoT markets. Fast Company magazine ranked Whipsaw among the Top 5 design firms in the world. Whipsaw’s creations are in the permanent collection at the Smithsonian Institution Cooper Hewitt Design Museum, the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design, and the Pasadena Museum of California Art. Whipsaw has won over 240 Industrial Design awards including many IDEA, Red Dot, iF, MDEA, Gmarks, CES Innovations, and D&AD awards.
Our ambition is to create outstanding products and experiences that contribute to society by touching one user at a time, and we always seek to advance the state of the art of our subject. Our design solutions are crafted to meet our client's specific aspirational goals and business objectives. We strive for design solutions that are beautiful, functional, unique, appropriate and simple.
Whipsaw’s growing medical device design portfolio includes successful solutions for Silk Road Medical, Apnicure, Pacific Biosciences, Merck, AB Sciex, Solta Medical, Naya Health, and Avinger. The Whipsaw team combines award-winning industrial design with best in class mechanical engineering to create high performance medical grade products with consumer grade experiences.